Am I being impatient

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 2, 2019
I need advice. I understand many in the travel industry are overwhelmed right now, but I think the guidance, I am being given is a bit unreasonable. Here is the situation, my family was scheduled to sail on the Celebrity Apex ,5 April sailing. We booked the cruise with an online travel agency, which specializes in cruising. This was our sixth or seventh time, we have used this agency. The cruise was cancelled on 14 March, when the cruise industry stood down operations. I learned of the cancellation from the Celebrity website. Upon reading the press announcement, I immediately contacted our travel agency to request a refund, rather than a future cruise credit. I was told my request had been received and would take up to 30 days to process. Today, I reached out (day 30) for an update. I was advised, because employees are working from home that I should now expect refunds to take 30-90+ to process. Does this timeline seem reasonable?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
One question I just through of- who charged your credit card? Celebrity or the travel agency? If Celebrity charged it, then you will receive the credit directly. If the travel agency- then they need to wait to be refunded and pay you back. I hope Celebrity was the one that charged your card.

Reactions: jsn55 and Skippy
Jan 11, 2015
I cancelled our May 24th Island Princess cruise on March 13 and, although I had an immediate confirmation of the cancellation from VtoG (I think that Rjac may have booked with the same agency), there has been no progress on either the 50% refund to CC or the 50% FCC (future cruise credit). There is nothing showing in my Cruise Personalizer on the Princess website other than that I have no upcoming cruises booked. I have also had the info that the refunds may take up to 90 days. I think that the refunds are being processed in order of when the ship was due to travel, rather than the cancellation date. We are certainly willing to wait the 90 days due to the present situation, but do hope that it will eventually show up in my account.

Jun 2, 2019
Thank you for the feedback. I double checked my credit card statement and the charges are from "Celebrity Cruises Miami Florida", so it does appear, I was charged by the cruise line, not the travel agent. As a point of comparison, our flights to this cruise (booked separately), were cancelled about the same time and we had the refund within a week.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The cruise lines aren’t receiving government funds for assistance like the airlines will. They have to process refunds on a one by one basis waiting for money to come in done able to refund. And they are refunding the earlier cancellations first.

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I would check to see if Celebrity is offering some nice goodies if you take a credit towards a future cruise. I understand that this may not be feasible for all, the cruise lines are grateful to people opting for the credit and willing to compensate them for that "favor". You might want to check ... VtoG may even start promoting this concept ... many, many businesses are short on cash and a future credit is a good way to stay in business during this time. I happen to think that a future credit is the right way to handle this awful crisis. My river cruise line offered us a big fat $200, but I've heard of many more generous offers out there.

Jun 2, 2019
We thought about the Future Cruise Credit, but it does not work for us. We would take the credit, if it could be used on any of the Royal Caribbean International Lines, but the credit can only be used on Celebrity. The rules also state, we must book by the end of 2020 and sail by the end of 2021. At this point, Celebrity does not have any remaining European cruises, we could take in 2020 and the 2021 schedule does not offer any European cruises, we are interested in taking. We are Americans, but currently live in Germany, hence the European focus. We also have limited times, we can cruise, due to four school age children. A refund, would allow us to book something on Holland America or Royal Caribbean, but I can't rebook, with some much money tied up with Celebrity.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Are you able to connect with anyone at the online service who might be able to help you? VtoG has a pretty good reputation.

Jun 2, 2019
I did not book with VtoG. I have been in contact with my online travel agent several times. I was initially told my refund would take 30 days. When the 30 days passed, without a refund, I was advised it could be 90+ before, I saw a refund. Travel agent says the refund is with Celebrity and because of volume of refunds and work from home orders, my refund will take more time.