Allegiant Cancelled Flight & Left Customers Stranded

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 28, 2019
Hello,

I'm looking for advice on how to handle a situation with Allegiant. My mom flew with them to Florida and on the morning she was set to fly back home, she received a message that her flight was cancelled due to weather. Allegiant alleged that there was fog that morning, but all other flights from Orlando were still leaving. I still can't fathom why they wouldn't just wait for the fog to lift instead of stranding a plane load of people in Orlando:rolleyes: Allegiant would not leave again until days later, so she panicked and booked another ticket home though Delta that cost her $700.00. She had to return to work the next day, so she could not be stranded another 4 days until Allegiant would fly her out. She was refunded around $150 of her $650.00 Allegiant ticket. Allegiant refuses to do anything further. Has anyone else rant into a situation like this with Allegiant? Were you able to get better compensation? Thanks in advance for any help!

Jul 13, 2016
Allegiant is a low cost airline that doesn't have any interline agreements with other airlines. As your mother discovered, it doesn't even fly daily service from many airports. So, her choice was to wait until there was a departing Allegiant flight with space, or buy a new ticket home.

Weather delays are not just for the departing airport. It could have been fog at her destination which causes a back up of departing flights at destination, thus no gate or personnel to handle the incoming flight.

What reason did Allegiant give for only refunding only $150? Was $650 the total cost of her ticket, round trip?

May 1, 2018
If the airline cancelled the flight then your mom can request a refund of the fare paid for the cancelled flight. Since the flight was cancelled for weather reasons (regardless of what other airlines were doing at the same airport), covering the cost of the Delta ticket is not Allegiant's responsibility so they don't owe any compensation for that. Travel insurance is designed to make you whole in these types of situations. Do you know if your mom had travel insurance? If she booked the flight on a credit card, she might have some type of trip interruption insurance through the card. It's worth investigating.

Reactions: jsn55

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When a flight is canceled due to weather, the airline has to do one of two things- put you on the next available flight (which could be days later as you found out) or provide you with a refund of the rest of the ticket.

On a round trip flight, the outbound flight from your home to Orlando has one fee and the return flight is another price. Frequently the more expensive flight is the outbound, not the return. The refund you received would only have been for that one flight and may only have been $150.

Call Allegiant and ask them how much each piece of the flight was. They only owe you for the return flight.

These are the times you find out the drawbacks of booking on a low cost airline. They don’t have multiple flights going back and forth the same day and don’t even fly the route you were in every day.

You might have been better off with a legacy airline at the higher price in the first place.

Reactions: jsmithw and Patina
May 28, 2019
Allegiant is a low cost airline that doesn't have any interline agreements with other airlines. As your mother discovered, it doesn't even fly daily service from many airports. So, her choice was to wait until there was a departing Allegiant flight with space, or buy a new ticket home.

Weather delays are not just for the departing airport. It could have been fog at her destination which causes a back up of departing flights at destination, thus no gate or personnel to handle the incoming flight.

What reason did Allegiant give for only refunding only $150? Was $650 the total cost of her ticket, round trip?
They stated the $150.00 was the return portion of her flight, but looking at her ticket it seems like they didn't refund any of the extras she purchased- luggage, seats, etc. for that flight. Maybe they don't have to though? It sounds like they are only obligated to refund the unused airfare?

May 28, 2019
If the airline cancelled the flight then your mom can request a refund of the fare paid for the cancelled flight. Since the flight was cancelled for weather reasons (regardless of what other airlines were doing at the same airport), covering the cost of the Delta ticket is not Allegiant's responsibility so they don't owe any compensation for that. Travel insurance is designed to make you whole in these types of situations. Do you know if your mom had travel insurance? If she booked the flight on a credit card, she might have some type of trip interruption insurance through the card. It's worth investigating.
She did not have travel insurance, but I'll look into her credit card benefits. Thank you for that advice!

Jul 13, 2016
They stated the $150.00 was the return portion of her flight, but looking at her ticket it seems like they didn't refund any of the extras she purchased- luggage, seats, etc. for that flight. Maybe they don't have to though? It sounds like they are only obligated to refund the unused airfare?
Usually, extra purchases like pre-assigned seats, extra leg room seats are not refundable. I am not sure about pre-paid baggage fees. You could certainly politely ask Allegiant to refund the baggage and the seats, though.

Reactions: jsn55

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Those are usually never refunded- that’s how Allegiant makes its money on the “low” fares they advertise. You could certainly write using our Executives and request that the one way extras she paid for be refunded.

Get the address of the first executive from our company contacts and use this thread to write :

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Give the first one a week to reply -if the answer is no or they don’t reply - move to the second. Repeat weekly if necessary. Let us know how you make out.

Sep 27, 2018
Usually, extra purchases like pre-assigned seats, extra leg room seats are not refundable. I am not sure about pre-paid baggage fees. You could certainly politely ask Allegiant to refund the baggage and the seats, though.
How can they legally get away with that if they keep the money for a service they did not provide?

Sep 27, 2018
I think this case is instructive in how little you save with these discounters. A $650 tix to Orlando seems to be not much of a deal in a competitive market like Orlando. Have a hard time believing that one could not find a similar price on a normal airline.

May 27, 2019
Allegiant stacks everything in their favor. I had damaged luggage on my first of two Allegiant flights as well as a lost TSA lock - but since I didn't notice this until after Allegiant's 4 hour mandatory reporting period, they did absolutely nothing for me...not a penny. I'm forced to use them periodically - but would never use them when I have a viable option. And, this after is after my wife and I have flown with them many times in the past.

Thus, not surprised Allegiant didn't refund the extra costs like seat choice, baggage fees, priority boarding, etc. (btw: I wonder what they do with all the TSA locks that somehow disappear??)

Reactions: FrankL183

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Allegiant stacks everything in their favor. I had damaged luggage on my first of two Allegiant flights as well as a lost TSA lock - but since I didn't notice this until after Allegiant's 4 hour mandatory reporting period, they did absolutely nothing for me...not a penny. I'm forced to use them periodically - but would never use them when I have a viable option. And, this after is after my wife and I have flown with them many times in the past.

Thus, not surprised Allegiant didn't refund the extra costs like seat choice, baggage fees, priority boarding, etc. (btw: I wonder what they do with all the TSA locks that somehow disappear??)
Allegiant isn’t the ones who open luggage locks. The TSA does if they see something in your luggage that needs to be looked at. I’ve had the same tho g happen - once the lock was completely gone and once the lock was still on the suitcase and left open.

You can blame a lot of Allegiant but not the lock situation.

May 27, 2019
Yes, I can blame Allegiant for the TSA lock disappearing. I spoke to the TSA Supervisor at the airport and he assured me they would have left a note in my luggage if they had opened it or damaged the lock. We believe Allegiant baggage handlers somehow caused the lock and most all of the zipper mechanism to be pulled off my wife's suitcase. Thus, Allegiant should have responsibility.