Allegiant Air non-responsive!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 2, 2020
My husband and I planned a trip to Asheville from Orlando Sanford airport from 12/5/19 to 12/8/19 on this airlines. My husband became critically ill, went to the doctor on 12/4 and ended up in the hospital from 12/9 to 12/13. On 12/4, I chatted with an airline rep on line - apparently you can't actually TALK to someone! I explained the situation and offered to send them a copy of the doctor's note obtained 12/4. They offered a partial refund which they offer everyone that doesn't fly regardless of reason. This isn't acceptable as we are asking for a full refund. I then sent three emails to Mr Gust at Allegiant (got the info from Mr. Elliott's website) on 12/18/19, 1/25/20 and 3/1/20 with the doctor's note and the hospital discharge papers. No reply. Help!! Thank you!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you have travel insurance? This is exactly what it’s for. If you didn’t, try contacting the credit card you used to buy the tickets and see if they offer any insurance that would cover this. I’m frankly surprised Allegiant offered a partial credit for a refund for a nonrefundable ticket because non refundable is exactly that.

We have a post on nonrefundable air cancellations:

Sep 19, 2015
If you do not have any protection — either from buying tripflex or travel insurance it is an uphill battle. You are asking for the benefit of TripFlex or travel insurance without having to pay for it.

You agreed to the airline’s terms when buying the ticket so you did accept the terms and now demanding a full refund may not lead anywhere. It is often better to ask for a credit. It is up to the airline to make a goodwill exception and they are under no obligation to do this — you are asking for a favor.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm afraid that there are very few refunds of non-ref tix. And probably none at all from a low-cost airline. I'm sorry your husband got so sick. If you attached anything to your email, it probably went to spam. You may be asking for a full refund and find their silence unacceptable, but you agreed to their rules when you purchased the tix. There's a reason it's a budget airline, for one thing, they have no customer service. Try sending a polite request for an exception to their rules, then follow up with our Company Contacts, waiting a week or two between submissions. Keep in mind that the travel industry is in complete turmoil with the coronavirus, so patience is required. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Mar 2, 2020
I'm afraid that there are very few refunds of non-ref tix. And probably none at all from a low-cost airline. I'm sorry your husband got so sick. If you attached anything to your email, it probably went to spam. You may be asking for a full refund and find their silence unacceptable, but you agreed to their rules when you purchased the tix. There's a reason it's a budget airline, for one thing, they have no customer service. Try sending a polite request for an exception to their rules, then follow up with our Company Contacts, waiting a week or two between submissions. Keep in mind that the travel industry is in complete turmoil with the coronavirus, so patience is required. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.
Thank you. I did go to contacts and politely wrote to Mr Gust 3 times. I included a copy of the doctors note regarding not able to fly and also his hospital papers (not attaching here due to privacy issues). I was very nice and expressed my wishes. Still no response. If I do hear anything, I will certainly let everyone know. Thanks again.

Mar 2, 2020
Did you cancel your reservations or were you considered to be a no show?
canceled the reservation. Concerning you can't talk to anyone live - only by text. First time I booked with Allegiant as it was the only airline that was non-stop. Disheartened to say the least.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
canceled the reservation. Concerning you can't talk to anyone live - only by text. First time I booked with Allegiant as it was the only airline that was non-stop. Disheartened to say the least.
But you didn’t buy insurance- which covers the reason why you had to cancel. Can you tell us why you didn’t purchase insurance?

Have you called your credit card company to see if they offer any insurance?

Reactions: VoR61
Sep 9, 2018
I am a bit confused about the dates. You wrote that your husband was critically ill on 12/4, but yet wasn't hospitalized until 12/9 (the day after you were to have come back from Asheville). I am wondering if that 5-day lapse is what is making the airline stall. Does the doctor's note state that even though your husband wasn't hospitalized until 12/9, he was unable to travel for all of those days?

It might not make a difference, but I know that the airlines are looking for every nuance possible..... especially if one doesn't have travel insurance.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you. I did go to contacts and politely wrote to Mr Gust 3 times. I included a copy of the doctors note regarding not able to fly and also his hospital papers (not attaching here due to privacy issues). I was very nice and expressed my wishes. Still no response. If I do hear anything, I will certainly let everyone know. Thanks again.
If you attached anything to your email, it probably went to spam. Don't give up!

smd

Mar 14, 2018
If you attached anything to your email, it probably went to spam. Don't give up!
This gets repeated a lot on this site, but im not sure where people got the idea. I don't know any spam classification algorithm that would automatically tag emails with attachments as spam. And, if you think about it, email wouldn't be a very useful business tool if they did...

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
This gets repeated a lot on this site, but im not sure where people got the idea. I don't know any spam classification algorithm that would automatically tag emails with attachments as spam. And, if you think about it, email wouldn't be a very useful business tool if they did...
Because this is oft stated and recently has been challenged in several threads, I checked with a long time friend who owns his own IT consulting firm and has setup systems worldwide. He has indicated to me that, indeed, spam filters can quarantine based on email domain and/or attachments. I specifically posed the scenarios we see here and his response was in the affirmative as to the ability to this.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Because this is oft stated and recently has been challenged in several threads, I checked with a long time friend who owns his own IT consulting firm and has setup systems worldwide. He has indicated to me that, indeed, spam filters can quarantine based on email domain and/or attachments. I specifically posed the scenarios we see here and his response was in the affirmative as to the ability to this.
I actually worked in this industry. There certainly are systems (eg FireEye) that scan attachments for malware and then quarantine those that are malicious. I assume this is what your friend is referring to. However, they do not simply block all email with attachments. And given how reluctant CIOs were to even delay email attachments for malware checking, I'd be quite surprised if anyone were simply blocking all attachments outright.

kenish

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
It might not make a difference, but I know that the airlines are looking for every nuance possible..... especially if one doesn't have travel insurance.
There are often "nuances" in cases on this forum. But if the ticket was indeed non-refundable there's no nuance involved. Purchasing the ticket enters the passenger and airline into a contract. If travel insurance was purchased (or there's credit card coverage), that's great. But the conversation is with those parties, not with the airline. I don't want to sound unsympathetic, I hope KKND's husband made a fast and complete recovery!

As others commented, Allegiant is a ULCC (ultra low-cost carrier). Their rock bottom fares have to be no-frills, "no waivers, no favors". I'm pleasantly surprised they offered a partial refund. ULCC's often fly underserved routes, which is great. But low demand often means they have a flight every few days. If your flight is delayed or cancelled, their next available flight to rebook you onto may be 2-3 days later! Allegiant is infamous for dropping unprofitable routes without notice.

Allegiant is barebones with customer service and maintenance (they have a far higher rate of emergency landings than other US airlines and pilots have quit due to unaddressed safety concerns).

Apr 10, 2017
Allegiant is barebones with customer service and maintenance (they have a far higher rate of emergency landings than other US airlines and pilots have quit due to unaddressed safety concerns).
What you wrote is scary. I googled 'Allegiant safety issues' and most articles dealt with a newspaper investigation in 2016. At that time, Allegiant said that they were going to an all-Airbus fleet and that they were addressing concerns. Do you have more recent references? I've never flown Allegiant and have no plans to, but as a concept, I do not want to automatically associate budget airline with budget maintenance. Which makes me think of the 737 Max. I do almost all of my air travel on Southwest. I'm not sure what to do if and when the 737 Max starts flying again.

kenish

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
I haven't looked into more recent Allegiant history. It's true they have replaced aging MD-80/90 aircraft with Airbus (also elderly with an average age of 14 years). If a "safety first" culture isn't in place at an airline it filters down to their operations, maintenance, flight standards, etc.

I'm a private pilot and engineer, and pretty familiar with the cause and fixes on the Max8. It was a string of unacceptable decisions and events (go back to "safety first culture"). That said, I look forward to flying on a Max as soon as they are introduced. Pilots and flight attendants worldwide have the most "skin in the game" with unions backing them. Airlines, Boeing, and regulators have their reputation and very existence at stake. So when Max returns to service, everyone involved will be VERY confident there is no risk to their lives, careers, and company.

(FYI, Southwest has a good safety record but a long history of violations. Many are repeats. The NTSB report about the engine failure that killed a passenger is critical of SWA maintenance and a big FAA fine is probably coming.)

Sep 19, 2015
One thing to consider with the low cost and ultra low cost carriers like allegiant. They have very low fares but a lot of fees, and the fees are where they make money/ profit. Since the airline sells a service to reduce the change/cancellation fees, ie tripflex, there is little incentive to grant an exception -- because the traveler chose not to purchase. I think Allegiant even charges for a glass of water on the plane....

This page has seen similar complaints with other carriers, such as Iceland Air -- people who did not buy the protection asking for an exception after a health problem.

I do not know what is the possibility of success, the only think we can do is suggest that one try.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61

kenish

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
Since the airline sells a service to reduce the change/cancellation fees, ie tripflex, there is little incentive to grant an exception -- because the traveler chose not to purchase. I think Allegiant even charges for a glass of water on the plane....

This page has seen similar complaints with other carriers, such as Iceland Air -- people who did not buy the protection asking for an exception after a health problem.

You bring up a good caveat...with any airline, look deeper into the "teaser" fares and figure out what add-ons you need (seat preselection, overhead bin access, checked bags, meals, preferred boarding group, etc). The total may be higher than more expensive fares on the same or other airlines that include the things you need.

Thanks to the rather sneaky "basic economy" fares, this is true for all airlines, especially ULCC's. Nowadays even first-tier airlines are pretty unforgiving and unsympathetic with change fees and non-refundable fares. If your travel plans are at-risk, buy travel insurance! Purchasing independently instead of what the airline offers is usually a better value.

Reactions: Neil Maley