Aldi won't refund an overcharge to my debit card

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

LLH

May 11, 2020
I used my debit card to pay for my purchase at the store. The transaction canceled twice, resulting in 2 declined charges with the 3rd charge going through. The declined and approved charges hard posted to my account. Aldi reversed the first two about a week later so the correction was made and the money returned to my account. A week after that, they re-charged me for the first canceled/declined transaction. Contacting the corporate office and supplying the receipt (which shows all the charges), along with proof of the transactions from my banking activity got me a reply that they found no error. (Totally wrong!!) Right now I've paid $150.05 for a purchase of $75.67. My challenge now is getting an email through to the corporate contacts. I tried sending to Brenda Ramsey who is listed on this site. Three attempts and all were returned as not deliverable. I just want them to refund my $74.38. I don't believe their corporate customer service did a thorough review of the documents they requested from me because the information is there in black and white. It's a small amount but any suggestions on how to get through to them? Thanks!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
And did you email all contacts at once? That can also cause emails to go into spam. This is how to write:

LLH

May 11, 2020
Yes, I did, when the first two declined charges went through. I contacted Aldi also so that I had my bases covered on both ends. It appeared to be resolved until Aldi recharged me for a declined charge. That's when I contacted them a second time and they sent me an email to reply to, to provide the receipt. I had a case reference number from my first contact with them that was on file and that same case number was used again. I took the route of going directly to them the second time for a couple of reasons - 1) filing a dispute with my bank in our current environment takes an extraordinarily long time and I was doubtful it would be properly resolved 2) I was sure that providing the actual receipt and showing the bank transactions from Aldi would result in a solution because it's so clear to see.

LLH

May 11, 2020
Did you attach anything to your email? That can cause it to be bounced back.
Yes I did, on the first email. Then I removed them (because I know I would never open an attachment from someone I don't know!), and edited the email to say that I could provide the documentation upon request. That was the second email. I edited my email again and made it very short and briefly stated the issue and asked to be pointed to someone who could help. That was email #3 - all returned as not deliverable.

LLH

May 11, 2020
And did you email all contacts at once? That can also cause emails to go into spam. This is how to write:

No. I emailed the first contact listed (Brenda Ramsey). I didn't include the secondary one, or email him separately.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is one of those annoying things resulting from the virus disruption. Patience and persistence will see your account straightened out. Is there only one Company Contact for Aldi? Please report this as Neil posted, then just keep asking them to correct the error. It's beyond annoying, but part of the virus fallout.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
It occurs to me that Aldi would need to supply the two different receipts showing that you bought items two times.
It is somewhat apparent that you would not have bought items (2x) for the exact same amount at Aldi s but I guess it’s possible to try to scam them that way.
The receipts should have either different dates or different time stamps on them.
Can you speak to the Dispute department about this issue ?

LLH

May 11, 2020
All 3 charges are actually on one receipt, not two. When the first charge of $74.38 was canceled/declined, the cashier asked me if I wanted to add a hand sanitizer for $1.29 before I swiped my card again - I said yes (it was just when everything started going haywire and they had them at the registers). That brought the total to $75.67, swiped my card and it declined again. Swiped it a third time for $75.67 and it was approved. So while the 2 declines and 1 approval are all on one receipt, and I provided this info and explanation to Aldi, I think they just saw 1 decline for a different dollar amount, and that they recharged me and didn't pay attention to the details that show it's an invalid charge. The current situation definitely makes it difficult to get anything resolved. I've spent way more time on this than should have been necessary. Now it's about principal.It's not a lot of money but this could have been devastating to someone who lost their job. I'm very frustrated that whoever reviewed the "evidence" didn't really review it. The reason emails bounced is because the "sender domain isn't valid", which is nonsense. I sent from a gmail address, and I also tried from my work address which has been "valid" for 15 years. The guys at the store have tried to have a district manage call me but that also netted no response. I'm always polite and courteous and have never, ever had trouble getting something resolved at a corporate level - not that it's happened many times, but when I've needed to appeal to a higher level, it was handled appropriately. Aldi is the first company I've ever dealt with that didn't do the right thing. Sorry for running on, but I really am frustrated.