Airlines cancelled flights, but I’m only receiving a partial refund from agency

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 20, 2020
I purchased Ukrainian Air and Delta airline tickets through AirTreks. Both airlines cancelled the flights. I requested a full refund from AirTreks. AirTreks offered a partial refund explaining that there were unrefundable fees and booking fees from the airlines and AirTreks ($1792.80 of the $5804 was unrefundable). I asked for a statement listing who (Delta, Ukrainian Air, or AirTreks) was not refunding what. AirTreks wrote back that AirTreks are package deals and they are unable to give me a breakdown and that I am lucky to get back what I did. Is this reasonable?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
DOT rules about refunds do not apply when you buy through a third party. Only if you book directly.

Some highly discounted fares these third parties book are also totally nonrefundable - even if the airline cancels. And if the airline isn’t waiving cancellation fees, the agency can’t refund them either.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What portion of the flights weren’t refunded? Was there more than one flight and were any just within Europe or the Ukraine and didn’t have a start/ end point In the US? In other words did this agency book separate flights with two different confirmation numbers or were they all on one ticket?

Jun 20, 2020
I thought it was all on one ticket, but now that I look back at the tickets I see that I had two confirmation numbers - 1 with Ukrainian Airlines and 1 with Delta. My flight from Ukraine to London was cancelled by Ukrainian Air (and would have been starting and ending in Europe) and the flight from London to Atlanta was cancelled by Delta. The return flights weren’t until July, but I told AirTreks that I couldn’t use them since the flights to the States were already cancelled. I asked AirTreks to give me a statement showing what part wasn’t refundable, but they said they were unable to give me a breakdown because it was a package and the tickets can’t be sold separately.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’m assuming Delta refunded but Ukraine did not? Our DOT refund rules don’t apply for the Ukraine Air flights.

Was Delta on one ticket- Atlanta to London and then London to Atlanta? If Delta canceled that flight and it was one ticket, the outgoing cancellation should have canceled the return as well.

Jun 20, 2020
Only the Kiev to London flight is on the Ukrainian Air confirmation number. London to Atlanta, Atlanta to Amsterdam, Amsterdam to Kiev are all on the Delta confirmation number. The Ukrainian flight to London is usually less than $200/ticket if bought directly from the airline, so even if these tickets were completely nonrefundable that would only be about $800 (4 tickets) of the $1792 that was not refunded.

I wish AirTreks would give me a breakdown of the nonrefundable charges, but they won’t.

Thanks for taking the time to help. Even if I can’t get a full refund, I‘ve learned something along the way.