Airbnb Service Fee Not Refunded

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 29, 2020
I made a rental reservation on July 27, 2019 for a house in Sharon, CT. The house was reserved for 2 nights (July 3-4, 2020) because my wife and I were to attend a wedding. We were notified in early May 2020 that the wedding was cancelled due to Covid-19. On May 6, 2020 I cancelled my reservation. I cancelled earlier than I really needed to as a good gesture figuring that the renters may be able to rent to someone else. At the time of my cancellation the Airbnb Extenuating Circumstances Policy did not include rentals up to July 4, 2020. Therefore, I received a refund of my 50% deposit minus the Airbnb Service Fee of $103.20. Then on June 8, 2020 I discovered that Airbnb revised their Policy on June 1 to include reservations made on or before March 14, 2020 with a check-in date between March 14, 2020 and July 15, 2020 with refunds of all Service Fees. However, the policy does indicate that reservations already cancelled would not be reconsidered which I feel penalizes individuals who cancelled early but fit the criteria. I contacted Airbnb on June 8, 2020 and was denied a refund of the Service Fee. I asked that the matter be elevated for further consideration and was again denied. On June 9, 2020 I emailed Aisling Hassell, VP Community Support and have since heard nothing.
Can you please assist me in getting the service fee refunded ($103.20.)? I would appreciate any help you can offer.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Unfortunately, you likely won't get the fee refunded. You canceled too early and the policies have explicitly stated that if you canceled prior to the policy including your dates you are subject to the cancellation policy in force at the time you canceled.

You can follow the suggested writing methods and escalate it up to higher contacts since it's been so long without a response, but I would not hold out hope on a refund. It's possible they might be more apt to give a credit.