• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 17, 2020
I made an reservation with AIRBNB for a house to attend a large family wedding. Occupancy was to start on 7/23. The wedding was cancelled due to the pandemic. I had paid 50% plus the service fees up front, all non refundable under the host’s policy and the normal AIRBNB policy. Both have rejected my request for a refund. The reservation now qualifies for a refund under the AIRBNB extenuating circumstances policy. But I had to cancel it before the reservation qualified under that policy because of a deadline to make an additional non refundable payment to the host. Obviously I did not want to pay an additional 50% in the hope I could be get back 25%. Now when I go to the website, I’m told the matter has been closed. I have no way to contact them. Seems very unfair. Is there some way to pursue this claim?


Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Unfortunately, you have done all that can be done to pursue a refund. Since you cancelled prior to the extenuating circumstances policy went into effect, the original terms of your rental are the applicable terms. I am sorry I do not have better news for you.


Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Here are the Airbnb contacts:

You can use these to appeal your case, starting at the level above which you have already dealt with. Email one and wait for at least 2 weeks before moving on to the next level if no/negative response. You might reach someone who will make an exception, but do not expect this.

Be aware that Airbnb has laid off 25% of its staff and is having major cash flow issues as their business model has dried up, so its ability to accommodate refunds is poor. The same unfortunately applies to some hosts who have taken out mortgages/loans to purchase or renovate properties to serve Airbnb clients who have disappeared.
  • Like
Reactions: jsn55 and Skippy


Mar 14, 2018
Be aware that Airbnb has laid off 25% of its staff and is having major cash flow issues as their business model has dried up, so its ability to accommodate refunds is poor.
AirBNB raised $2 billion in debt and equity in April, so they don't have a cash flow issue. With that said, I still don't see them providing a full refund when the guest already agreed to accept 50%.
  • Like
Reactions: Neil Maley
Dec 19, 2014
I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but I'm not convinced that your situation would fall under Airbnb's extenuating circumstances policy.

"Under our Extenuating Circumstances policy, eligible guests may receive a travel credit or a cash refund, including all fees, and will be required to attest or provide supporting documentation regarding their inability to travel because of the COVID-19 pandemic. This documentation may be a travel restriction or shelter in place order, a transportation cancellation, a medical recommendation or other similar documentation. "

The extenuating circumstances policy requires you to attest or provide documentation of the INABILITY to travel. As I read your original post, you are simply no longer needing the rental because the wedding was cancelled.

I'm not saying your situation is fair, but this is the downside to booking a property with a strict cancellation or non-refundable deposit.


Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is a real shame, and I wish we could help. Every time a traveller lays out non-ref funds for anything, before doing so there has to be an internal dialogue. Expect to lose any monies you're spending. Envision that and determine the level of risk to yourself. For example, I would insure a $8K cruise, but I do not insure flights. The rationale? If I have to change/cancel a flight I can live with the fee. If I have to cancel the cruise, it would be devastating to lose all that money. Some of the top credit cards offer travel insurance as a perk, but if I didn't have my Chase Sapphire card, I'd have to spend money on insurance for a cruise. And, of course, the older you are, the more expensive it is. There's no wiggle room with $8K. I've been thinking of doing some research to see if I could purchase stock in travel insurance companies ... I predict that their revenue will grow immensely over the next couple of years. After that, of course, the public will forget all about corona virus.
  • Like
Reactions: Warren