Airbnb refund-Covid 19 policy

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 12, 2020
I had a reservation for March 14-18 in Arizona to attend Spring Training. MLB (along with all the sports) cancelled the remainder of Spring Training on the 12th. I contacted my Host
to tell him I need to cancel, I told him that I know that I was past his cutoff date for refunds but under the circumstances could we work something out? He asked what did I have in mind, I said the cost of the rental minus his fees. He agreed and said to cancel and he would "make it happen on his end" (attached are screenshots confirming this) I did that day, 3 days later(15th) received a text from Airbnb with their new Covid-19 policy and my reservation fell within their new policy for refunds. I relay this info to my host and ask was he able to do the refund, no response. I message again a few days later, still no response. I then turned to Airbnb to resolve it. Their response was even though the host agreed to refund they couldn't force him to give my money back. I tried again claiming my reservation fell within their policy, they said since I cancelled before the new policy I was out of luck! Don't know what if anything else can be done? As an aside the host has since taken down all of his listings since, seems shady to me!

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Airbnb is merely an online ad matching owners with renters. They take no responsibility for an owner refusing to provide refunds. Their point that you canceled before they came out with the policy is one that every traveler who canceled an airline ticket, cruise, or hotel reservation before policies were announced is facing.

I’m afraid your only option is to call your credit card company and file a dispute and if that fails, try Small Claims Court for the amount the owner agreed in writing to refund.