Airbnb Property Cancels Stay

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 6, 2020
I recently read an article that was wrote in the Washington Post regarding filing disputes for cancelled travel plans. I am reaching out to you today in hopes that you could assist me or offer me some kind of advise on how to proceed.

I made a reservation through Airbnb, the host is Real Joy a property management company based out of Destin Fl. My reservation was made on April 30th for May 15th-17th in Ft. Walton Beach Fl. I was not aware that the State of Florida was under a rental ban when I made the reservation. The rental ban has now been extended and Real Joy has cancelled my reservation. Of course they are offering me a travel voucher to use in the future (when rates are higher than I currently booked at).

I feel very mislead by the website allowing me to make a reservation during a time when all rental properties are not allowed to operate under the Governors orders. No where on the listing did it have any indication of the rental ban and still does not today. They are still taking reservation currently on their properties. I feel as though this is a ploy to take consumers money knowing the reservations will be cancelled to have a stream of revenue. Then offering them travel vouchers to use in the future when rates are much higher. I don't understand how this is a legal practice?

Any good advice you can offer? Thanks for listening!

Sarah Cahill

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Have they denied your request for a refund? How did you pay for the rental? If they have denied you a refund and you paid by credit card, I would file a chargeback with your credit card company showing that the vacation rental ban was in effect at the time you made the reservation and that they are denying you a refund.

Reactions: jsn55

smd

Mar 14, 2018
I think you're making this too complicated. They cancelled your reservation--They owe you a refund. The discussion of when rental bans went into effect isn't really necessary,

Contact Airbnb to ask for your refund.

Reactions: SoCalTraveler