Airberlin flight 3 1/2 weeks ago- 2 delayed and 1 "lost" suitcase. How to file Chase Sapphire claim?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 29, 2017
On July 6 2017 my family flew with Airberlin from Berlin to New York JFK. Our checked-in suitcases did not arrive at JFK (as did the suitcases for at least 15 other passengers on that flight). I got my PIR form at JFK and got on the next flight to go home. I called the JFK luggage number numerous times, and left messages. No return calls were received.

On day 20 I received one suitcase. It was not my suitcase but a duffel bag belonging to a man who flew on airberlin a week earlier... !
I submitted information on the airberlin complaint site about this error. No reply has been received as of today.

On day 21, 2 of our 3 (correct) suitcases were delivered at my doorstep. Our 3rd bag is still missing at 26 days as of today. Airberlin may very well have us recorded as having 3 suitcases delivered.
My Chase Sapphire card was used to pay for the flights. I started a claim for delayed baggage in the first week that the luggage was delayed. My travel insurance provided no coverage at all since the delay happened on our flights returning back home.

Does anyone have feedback on claiming "lost" luggage through Chase's coverage? It seems I can claim up to $3,000 for a lost suitcase as long as I provide receipts (I have $2k+ in receipts). Are certain items frowned upon, or is a certain limit for claims considered suspect, or how does this work? Has anyone successfully filed such a claim? Do I need to wait for a note form AirBerlin stating my suitcase is considered lost officially? Or can I just state it has been more than 21 ways and should thus be considered lost (I don't recall the details on where I read that 21 days is considered the "lost" deadline for luggage). It is my understanding that luggage is considered "lost" after 21 days, right? If it gets delivered at 30 days, do I still get to file my claim?

Any information is much appreciated.

ADM

Apr 10, 2017
Lost luggage is covered under the Montreal Convention so Chase may require you to go this route before providing any compensation. Air Berlin would owe you money for a lost suitcase. Do you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred? If so it says you must show proof that you submitted a report to the airline.

May 29, 2017
I submitted a report to Airberlin through their complaint forum on July 28 (22 days after the flight) asking about the procedure for my lost suitcase. I received the standard confirmation that they received my message and will contact me "as soon as possible".

Should I wait for official documentation from AirBerlin that they agree it should be considered "lost", or start the lost baggage claim (with Chase) while waiting for them to come up with such a statement?

Previous message from AirBerlin seemed to imply that I should file through my insurance (which Case provides). Will Chase still expect me to file directly with AirBerlin for lost luggage or do I just file with Chase? This is a confusing situation to me...

Previous Airberlin reply to delayed luggage claim (received 2 weeks after submitting the complaint):

Thank you for contacting us.

We deeply regret the delayed delivery of your baggage and would like to apologise for the inconveniences caused.

To enable us to consider your claim may we ask you to submit the following documents:

1) The Property Irregularity Report (P.I.R.) issued at the airport

2) The receipts for emergency purchases

3) Your bank details: IBAN and SWIFT code, name and complete address of the bank

4) A short statement that you do not have any baggage insurance.

Important notice:

If you have travel insurance we ask you to claim from your insurers as insurance companies can offer less restrictive claim settlement. They have the right of recovery from airlines and would subsequently receive payment of the airline’s limited liability.

Please submit the requested information via our web form www.airberlin.com/complaint by choosing the button 'You have already submitted your complaint and would like to make additions or you have further inquiries'. You may then enter your file reference number (V1697494) and upload your documentation.

Your assistance in this matter is highly appreciated.

Yours sincerely

Your Guest Relation Team

I do have Chase Sapphire Preferred.

ADM

Apr 10, 2017
I would contact a benefits administrator at Chase and ask them how exactly how to proceed. I'm sure every company handles these claims differently. Try to do a live chat or email in order to have a paper trail.

Good luck and I do hope you get your bag back soon. I know from personal experience how frustrating that can be.

Reactions: jsn55
May 29, 2017
I sent an email to EClaims. My last email was not replied to within the stated 24-48 hours or 5 business in case documents were attached, so I am not expecting a speedy reply on this one either. Regardless, I am pleased Chase provides free insurance to travelers.

Just to be sure: can I still claim as lost luggage even if the luggage gets delivered by 30 days or so, or can I always claim (with airline or credit card insurance) if it did not arrive by 21 days?

Thanks for your speedy replies. This forum has been so helpful!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I sent an email to EClaims. My last email was not replied to within the stated 24-48 hours or 5 business in case documents were attached, so I am not expecting a speedy reply on this one either. Regardless, I am pleased Chase provides free insurance to travelers.

Just to be sure: can I still claim as lost luggage even if the luggage gets delivered by 30 days or so, or can I always claim (with airline or credit card insurance) if it did not arrive by 21 days?

Thanks for your speedy replies. This forum has been so helpful!
Give Chase a call. I had a rental car claim last summer and they were terrific to deal with. They can tell you exactly what you need to know.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Don't they have a phone number to call?
Chase Sapphire? One of their main claims to fame is that a real person answers the phone every time. I think once I waited 45 seconds with the music. This, to me, is worth almost any amount of annual fee.

Reactions: ADM

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Chase Sapphire? One of their main claims to fame is that a real person answers the phone every time. I think once I waited 45 seconds with the music. This, to me, is worth almost any amount of annual fee.
That's why I don't understand why the question would even be here on how to file a claim. Call them and ask.

May 29, 2017
I called Chase and spoke to a couple of different people in the past couple of weeks. One person provided what I believe is incorrect information - she said that I cannot start a lost luggage claim for luggage that has not been delivered to me for 4 weeks, if I know where my luggage is (= wrongly delivered to a stranger in another city). Under the Montreal Convention such luggage would be considered "lost luggage", I think. Perhaps I am interpreting it incorrectly?

Just in case someone else reads this later, and is dealing with a similar situation:
Chase requires that you submit your claim to the airline first - even if said airline publicly states that they do not cover delayed or lust luggage (to the extent that Chase would cover). You need the declined claim from the airline to proceed with your Chase claim. These details are not stated in the card benefits explanation. It would save you time knowing to submit it to the airline as well as start the claim process with Chase.

To be continued...

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Ah,
I called Chase and spoke to a couple of different people in the past couple of weeks. One person provided what I believe is incorrect information - she said that I cannot start a lost luggage claim for luggage that has not been delivered to me for 4 weeks, if I know where my luggage is (= wrongly delivered to a stranger in another city). Under the Montreal Convention such luggage would be considered "lost luggage", I think. Perhaps I am interpreting it incorrectly?

Just in case someone else reads this later, and is dealing with a similar situation:
Chase requires that you submit your claim to the airline first - even if said airline publicly states that they do not cover delayed or lust luggage (to the extent that Chase would cover). You need the declined claim from the airline to proceed with your Chase claim. These details are not stated in the card benefits explanation. It would save you time knowing to submit it to the airline as well as start the claim process with Chase.

To be continued...
Ah, this explains it. The airline has primary responsibility for your luggage, so until they admit it's lost, your Sapphire insurance won't accept your claim. That makes sense. I believe this is why grandma used to say "Patience is a virtue".

Reactions: Neil Maley