AirBerlin bankruptcy - what will happen to delayed luggage claims?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 29, 2017
Would any of you knowledgeable people know what will happen with AirBerlin claims for luggage delay/ loss that have not been processed and paid yet? I have been waiting for a settlement claim or payment denial from Airberlin for weeks, as this is needed for my travel insurance claim to go through. It seems unlikely AirBerlin will spend the time and money to even process these claims anymore, since they filed insolvency this week. Any insights on what to expect or how insurers will deal with this? I asked my Chase insurance but have not received a reply yet.

Sep 19, 2015
Yes this is a question -- and one that would require legal knowledge of German bankruptcy law. I do not think Air Berlin will be paying out old claims - pre filing Bankruptcy for a long time. You need to talk to Chase -- the Air Berlin issues could take some time. What a mess, sorry for you.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Well, let's put it this way, there's always an extremely slight possibility that these kinds of liabilities will be considered, but it would be a miracle. Hopefully Chase has some connections to find out what might happen. I am also sorry for your situation ... but better this kind of issue than becoming stranded at your destination without notice.

May 29, 2017
Update. Received this reply from AirBerlin:

As you will certainly have heard, Air Berlin PLC & Co. Luftverkehrs KG (Air Berlin) has filed to commence insolvency proceedings under self-administration on August 15, 2017.

According to our documentation, you have filed a claim with us that has not yet been finalized.

Due to the requested insolvency proceedings, we are currently unable to attend to any demands that may arise from your claim.

You may assert your claim after commencement of the insolvency proceedings within the legally determined proceedings. For this purpose, you will receive a form by mail unsolicited at a later time. This form will also include information regarding the further process sequence.

We ask for your understanding that we are unable to make any further statements during the current proceedings or to process your claim at this time.

Yours sincerely,

Your Guest Relation Team

Air Berlin PLC & Co. Luftverkehrs KG

I called Chase to see how they will proceed with AirBerlin cases. They are going to wait to see what happens with AirBerlin. If they get bought out then claims could still get paid out (and Chase has to pay less). If not then they will still need documentation stating that they will not pay.
I asked that happens if the AirBerlin status remains in limbo for a year or more? Chase will simply wait it out and the claim will be hanging for a long as it takes. She added that I would not get penalized for the length of time it takes. Nice.

Anyway, this will take a long time. I have a feeling this is going to take a long time and the chances I will ever get reimbursed by either airline or Chase are getting smaller every day.
What a mess....

Sep 19, 2015
Yes a big mess.

Please make sure you have it in writing that Chase will not disallow the claim if this takes years -- under some statute of limitations issue.

My suspicion is that Lufthansa and Easyjet will cherry pick the better routes; Ryanair says they are interested but really only in the short haul. Employees will be first in line after secured creditors for payment... as Air Berlin has been losing money for years this is not promising.

May 29, 2017
Update- As of today, no information has been received from AirBerlin on how to proceed next. Chase's process is still on hold pending the AirBerlin information. No progress, no refund so far.

May 29, 2017
You are probably right. Chase won't pay without a letter from AirBerlin, so I'll be missing out on quite the reimbursement. Nice for Chase and AB, bad for me.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Can you send Chase any of the news stories about them closing down? It’s ridiculous that they are sticking to this.

I wonder if our writers can help? Why don’t you do back to the help screens and refile a help claim- state that you came to the boards and have heard nothing from Air Berlin and ask if they can contact Chase on your behalf.

May 29, 2017
I just called Chase again and sent messages as well, to report that AirBerlin has been unresponsive to my messages. Chase confirmed (again) that they will not process anything without a letter from AirBerlin denying claim payout. I am supposed to hear back from the the Chase claims processor in 1-2 work days about the process. Not getting my hopes up of a good outcome...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Reactions: jsn55
Jul 27, 2016
Problem is, RomePlanner is now a creditor of the bankrupt company. Until the bankruptcy process is complete, and all creditors have been paid whatever (if anything) they're going to get, he can't say for certain that he won't be compensated. Without knowing more about Germany bankruptcy law, I can't really say how likely it is that RomePlanner will get paid any of what they're owed.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Problem is, RomePlanner is now a creditor of the bankrupt company. Until the bankruptcy process is complete, and all creditors have been paid whatever (if anything) they're going to get, he can't say for certain that he won't be compensated. Without knowing more about Germany bankruptcy law, I can't really say how likely it is that RomePlanner will get paid any of what they're owed.
He will get nothing. He becomes the last in line to be paid anything. And Chase should know that.

Jul 27, 2016
He will get nothing. He becomes the last in line to be paid anything.
Probably not, although I won't pretend to know if German bankruptcy law treats certain classes of unsecured creditors in advantageous ways...

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Since I am a big Chase CC fan, I am astonished by their attitude. Have you talked with anyone at Chase, or just the insurance people? Seems like they need a little prompting to get with it here. I really don't think that Chase wants their card holders jerked around like this. I've had an rental car claim and a trip interruption claim over the years and they were both handled flawlessly. The travel insurance is a most valuable perk and it's an important factor in growing the Sapphire CC line.

Reactions: Neil Maley

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
Since I am a big Chase CC fan, I am astonished by their attitude. Have you talked with anyone at Chase, or just the insurance people? Seems like they need a little prompting to get with it here. I really don't think that Chase wants their card holders jerked around like this. I've had an rental car claim and a trip interruption claim over the years and they were both handled flawlessly. The travel insurance is a most valuable perk and it's an important factor in growing the Sapphire CC line.
@jsn I was always a big Chase fan too, having three different Chase VISA cards that we use personally and for business.

I am now in a dispute w/a vendor, having used a Chase card. I have had a few disputes over the years and have never experienced the circus that I’m having with this one. I filed 18 August and it is ongoing with virtually no communication. The dispute team has acted very unprofessionally and with seemingly vey little understanding as to what the complaint states.
The only verbal communication I have had with the dispute team was on Labor Day when I got a call from a man in Asia. From the verbiage in the first letter I got from Chase regarding the disposition, he did not understand my words at all.
I’m very disappointed with the whole process at this point. I did write to Gerald Smith (CS Exec)about a month ago but did not hear from him so I have no idea if he got involved.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
@jsn I was always a big Chase fan too, having three different Chase VISA cards that we use personally and for business.

I am now in a dispute w/a vendor, having used a Chase card. I have had a few disputes over the years and have never experienced the circus that I’m having with this one. I filed 18 August and it is ongoing with virtually no communication. The dispute team has acted very unprofessionally and with seemingly vey little understanding as to what the complaint states.
The only verbal communication I have had with the dispute team was on Labor Day when I got a call from a man in Asia. From the verbiage in the first letter I got from Chase regarding the disposition, he did not understand my words at all.
I’m very disappointed with the whole process at this point. I did write to Gerald Smith (CS Exec)about a month ago but did not hear from him so I have no idea if he got involved.
Have you escalated using our contacts, lol?