Air/Sea issue

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 21, 2019
I booked a cruise on RCL for March 2019 for 11 people. I booked air for 7 people through the Air and Sea at RCL from LAX to San Juan. RCL cancelled the cruise as they chartered the boat to a private company. We were offered three options. 1. Rebook the same cruise on a different date. ( We were unable due to school vacation.) 2. Rebook a different cruise and RCL would cover the change fees from the airline or 3. Get a full refund. Initially I opted for a full refund until RCL told us we would have to pay a $200 pp air cancellation fee. This would result in a $1400 loss of money. We were given a timeframe to make the decision to choose an option. I think the
think the timeframe was 14 days but not entirely sure.
Initially, the day before when I called, RCL told us with option 3 there would be a full refund. When I called again within the next couple of days, I was told there would be a $200 pp airline cancellation fee. No one could give me a straight answer to the payment of the cancellation fee and I did not want to lose $1400, so I opted for selecting another cruise on the same dates
We rebooked the cruise for the same week, but the air was now out of Orlando instead of San Juan resulting in the airfare approximately $200 pp cheaper to fly into Orlando. I asked for the refund on the air totalling approximately $1400 since each flight was $200 pp less than the San Juan flight or I would take an onboard credit. RCL refused and stated they do not refund the difference in air.
Since RCL cancelled the cruise and we booked air through the RCL Air/Sea program I don't understand why I am not entitled to a refund if the difference in air since we now are flying LAX to Orlando, not LAX to San Juan or at a minimum an onboard credit. The air to San Juan was approximately $750 and air to Orlando was $513. 4 of the 11 are flying from Boston and I did not use Air/Sea program with the Boston passengers. Thank goodness.
I have spent several months trying to resolve this. I have called RCL, Costco Travel, my credit card company, instant messenger, social media, discussed this with supervisors on all of the above to try to resolve this to no avail. We leave on the cruise Sunday and still no resolution.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Jane June

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
You can reach out to RCL using the Company Contacts link at the top of this page.

You may also post your proposed email here if you would like us to review and comment . . .

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am befuddled. Orlando is in the middle of Florida. How does a cruise start there? Bottom line, the cruise line cancelled the cruise, they should not be allowed to ding you for the air cancel/change fee. Sounds like you didn't use a travel agent but booked through Costco. Shouldn't Costco be straightening this out? Or do they just take your booking like the other online services? I hope you have a wonderful time and are able to use our contacts to straighten this out after your cruise.

Mar 21, 2019
I am befuddled. Orlando is in the middle of Florida. How does a cruise start there? Bottom line, the cruise line cancelled the cruise, they should not be allowed to ding you for the air cancel/change fee. Sounds like you didn't use a travel agent but booked through Costco. Shouldn't Costco be straightening this out? Or do they just take your booking like the other online services? I hope you have a wonderful time and are able to use our contacts to straighten this out after your cruise.
Costco has a Costco Travel component. They tried. RCL air/Sea is impossible to deal with. Different stories and every time you call they tell you something different.
When sailing out of Port Canaveral you fly into Orlando and it is a 50 minute drive.

Feb 23, 2019
RC seems to be having more and more complaints lodged against them. We went back to sailing with Celebrity. Even though it is "sister company", we don't seem to have so many problems. Sorry you are having a problem, but keep trying.:(

Sep 20, 2015
And keep pushing to get the $1400 refunded. The rebooking of the trip was due to RC, not you. They chose to cancel the cruise in order to make more money elsewhere (chartering the ship), so you should not be out anything out of pocket (in fact, they should give you a shipboard credit for your inconvenience, but that's up to them). Go up the chain and good luck!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
And keep pushing to get the $1400 refunded. The rebooking of the trip was due to RC, not you. They chose to cancel the cruise in order to make more money elsewhere (chartering the ship), so you should not be out anything out of pocket (in fact, they should give you a shipboard credit for your inconvenience, but that's up to them). Go up the chain and good luck!
They are on their new cruise using the money they paid for the original cruise. There is no refund due - they can’t take a cruise for free.

The air is another issue- they should be made whole for any change fee and IMO they should also receive back the difference they paid in air as well, since RCCL canceled the cruise and greatly inconvenienced them.

Since Costco can’t seem to help I would encourage the OP to use our contacts to go up the Executive chain one at a time and plead her case.

It probably won’t be resolved before she leaves in het cruise but she can certainly continue to pursue it after she gets home.

Reactions: VoR61
Mar 21, 2019
They are on their new cruise using the money they paid for the original cruise. There is no refund due - they can’t take a cruise for free.

The air is another issue- they should be made whole for any change fee and IMO they should also receive back the difference they paid in air as well, since RCCL canceled the cruise and greatly inconvenienced them.

Since Costco can’t seem to help I would encourage the OP to use our contacts to go up the Executive chain one at a time and plead her case.

It probably won’t be resolved before she leaves in het cruise but she can certainly continue to pursue it after she gets home.
I spoke to the executive office and emailed them also. They absolutely refuse to refund. Any other advice??

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You can file another help form stating you have completed our process and have received a no. If our advocates think they can help they will contact you.

Not every case results in the way the consumer wants it to end though, so keep that in mind.