advice needed-online travel agency cancels tickets

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 14, 2015
They rang someone at IATA in Singapore, , who said make a bit of noise about it & threaten to go to the media.
spoke to them & it appears the problem has been resolved. Bestjet.com has agreed to fix it.

They may have been too slow in ticketing a paid booking & a fare disappeared or the fare on their website was wrong in the 1st place, who knows, but they are apparently going to issue new tickets, not recd yet (It's Sat pm here). The airline actually now has 2 live identical bookings.

They went ballistic & complained to everyone & it seems skyscanner may have put pressure on bestjet. Think bestjet effectively advertises on skyscanner.

Oct 14, 2015
yes it all seems sorted. They got new e-tickets, which appear on both airlines website & also trip case. Told them to contact airline to see if all looked ok & airline admin, not res person said yes. I told them to keep an eye on their booking.

The agency maybe not operating offshore, but pretending to be Australian.

Oct 14, 2015
This is why I don't understand why people don't just book directly with an airline. I honestly don't feel sorry for people anymore when they book through these companies that they do not check out and just hand over their money to.
bestjet say ...
Find your flight
cheaper than airline direct

think they found the cheap fare & then checked the airlines website & found bestjet substantially cheaper.

I know that wholesalers who buy blocks of seats, do get fares substantially cheaper, than can ever be found online.

In this case, it appears bestjet made a fare mistake.

So I guess, always pay with a credit card if possible & pay the extra costs & as soon as something goes wrong, complain loudly to everyone you can.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Oct 14, 2015
actually looking at their new e-tickets & the actual booking classes, think I realise where bestjet stuffed up.

There's a special fare where travel must be completed in December, but they were departing in December, but returning in January.

The bestjet fare quoted is the sale fare in one direction, combined with other fare, in the other direction, as if they were departing & returning in December. Problem with manually loading of fares & manually ticketing. Errors creep in, but were not discovered straight away.

Reactions: Neil Maley

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I agree with Neil, it's becoming difficult to have sympathy for travellers who use online booking agencies, giving all their personal and credit card info to an entity with no real presence and little customer service. BUT we are definitely in the minority here, seasoned travellers all, and we've seen so much grief on this forum. The vast majority of travellers do go for the cheapest arrangements they can find. So many people seem to blithely book complex international tix without a thought whether this internet site has any expertise. I have no idea why there's such blind acceptance of anything on the internet. We keep going here because so many people extricate themselves from hairy problems with our advice ... it's very satisfying.

Oct 14, 2015
I agree with Neil, it's becoming difficult to have sympathy for travellers who use online booking agencies, giving all their personal and credit card info to an entity with no real presence and little customer service. BUT we are definitely in the minority here, seasoned travellers all, and we've seen so much grief on this forum. The vast majority of travellers do go for the cheapest arrangements they can find. So many people seem to blithely book complex international tix without a thought whether this internet site has any expertise. I have no idea why there's such blind acceptance of anything on the internet. We keep going here because so many people extricate themselves from hairy problems with our advice ... it's very satisfying.
interesting that Skyscanner is trying to clean up, those who advertise on Skyscanner.

Real live travel agencies are not going anywhere, but there's huge growth in home based agents, as a way to counter big OTA's. No big rents to pay or any wages either.

The people who bought the bestjet tickets, 12 months earlier had bought $1300 tickets to USA from a wholesaler, for similar dates, when any search engine told them $1800-$1900 was going rate. When they saw on skyscanner a fare of roughly $1200, they thought this was about right, with the economy much worse now than 12 months ago. Would be interesting to see in bestjet is still to be found on skyscanner.

I'd book airfares with a real live agent, before direct with airline, anyday.

Last edited: