Advice for booked flights to Munich Sep 2020

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 31, 2020
I made plans to travel to Munich in late September 2020 to attend Oktoberfest. I used American Airlines frequent flyer miles (plus around $900 cash) to book a business class seat to/from Munich. The actual flight is on a British Airways flight.

What strategy do you recommend with this? I do not think things will be back to normal at that time. Even if Germany is open for business, and flights are running, I don’t think it will be prudent to go. Is it best to sit tight and hope the flight is cancelled and get a refund? Some other action?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
What are the exact dates of travel? If it's all before September 30 then it should qualify for a complete refund with no fees.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
You'll only get a refund if they cancel, but it's hard to say if they will that far out. It's also hard to say if airlines will extend their covid exceptions past the current dates. No one here knows any better on what's going to happen.

If your travel dates are beyond the airline's current covid exceptions than waiting is for sure the best course. If it's within the current exceptions you'll have to decide before they expire whether it's worth it for the voucher or risk it trying to get a refund but you might end up being bound by your original T&Cs.

Reactions: Patina

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
You'll only get a refund if they cancel, but it's hard to say if they will that far out. It's also hard to say if airlines will extend their covid exceptions past the current dates. No one here knows any better on what's going to happen.

If your travel dates are beyond the airline's current covid exceptions than waiting is for sure the best course. If it's within the current exceptions you'll have to decide before they expire whether it's worth it for the voucher or risk it trying to get a refund but you might end up being bound by your original T&Cs.
This is an award ticket. I'm pretty sure the rules are different.

Reactions: Skippy
May 30, 2019
Relevant link for the Original Poster

It looks like a miles refund could be given if the OP cancels at least 60 days in advance. However, I'm not an SME with AA and there could be some complexities given the use of miles + money.

My recommendation: Call the airline and ask about options. When you are talking about this much money and miles, it's worth waiting on hold for an hour or two.

Reactions: Barry Graham
May 31, 2020
Thanks for the responses. My trip departs 9/22 and returns 9/29. I have not checked with American yet - I wanted to check in with some experts here to make sure I wasn't going to waste my time waiting on the phone. I will check to see what they are offering as of now and call. Thanks!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Depends on the date of booking; all the airlines rolled out special considerations for cancelling flights, tho I think I remember that American wasn't being very cooperative. Spend some time on AA's website to see what their parameters are. You shouldn't have any trouble with an award tix cancel/redeposit, but, again, American is sometimes different than the rest. You can always check on FlyerTalk boards for an answer, or post the question if the answer's not already there. BTW, I agree with you about travel in September ... it will be happening, but the quality might be grim. Social distancing in an Oktoberfest tent would just not be the same!

Reactions: Patina

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
You are welcome, thanks for letting us know and thanks for plucking up the courage to call, I am glad that we were right!

May 30, 2019
I took your combined advice and contacted AA. I was able to get a full refund of miles and the dollars (the cost was all taxes) and it took all of 5 minutes. Thanks again for the very quick responses to my posts.
No problem -- Glad to help. :)