Advantage miles reinstatement few

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 7, 2020
I booked a ticket with my advantage miles last spring and it is due to expire on April 12 or the 13th this year. The ticket was to Italy and I ended up not being able to go last year. I didn’t have them put the miles back in my account at the time because there is a $150 fee for them to do so. Also I thought that I would be sure to use the ticket before it would expire and I would need to pay the fee. Which I had planned to do. I booked a barge cruise leaving from venice for April 5 through the 12th and I was planning to stay over an extra week. So now with Covid I was not able to take the barge cruise and I need to reinstate the miles and put them back in my account or I will lose them. But American wants me to pay the fee because I book the ticket last year originally. What do you think? Will they give me the miles at no charge or should I just go ahead and pay for them. It’s 30,000 miles. And yes I have emailed their customer service department and sent them the documentation for the Also I thought that I would be sure to use the ticket before would expire and I would need to pay the fee. Which I had planned to do. I booked a barge cruise leaving from Venice for April 5 through the 12th and I was planning to stay over an extra week. So now with CoVid I was not able to take the barge cruise and I need to reinstate the miles and put them back in my account or I will lose them. But American wants me to pay the fee because I booked the ticket last year originally. What do you think? Will they give me the miles at no charge or should I just go ahead and pay for them. It’s 30,000 miles. And yes I have emailed their customer service department and sent them the documentation for the cruise

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Here's what I'm reading: You booked an AA tix to Italy on AA miles. Couldn't make the trip, miles stayed with the res so you could use them within a year for a new booking. You made a new booking but now can't take that trip either. Basically you want to extend the miles another year so you can travel in 2021. Have I got this right? I don't know where the $150 redeposit fee comes into play. Is it a fee to change an award tix?

I don't fly American, but I know that the big 3 US-based airlines are really stepping up to help their customers. Hopefully some of my colleagues will be familiar with AA's Advantage program and can guide you toward a satisfactory solution. Meanwhile, read all the Advantage information on their website to see if you can figure out where you fit into their grid and what you need to do next. Looks like your deadline is coming right up ... I would pay the fee to retain your miles and sort it all out when this horrible mess is over.

Apr 7, 2020
HI and thank you for your reply. The 150 is the fee American charges to put the miles back into my account before they expire this weekend! This is why I left the miles with the reservation, to avoid paying the reinstatement fee. I have talked to several agents who insist that because I originally cancelled last year the airline is unwilling to waive the reinstatement fee. I think you're probably right and I should just pay the fee to save the miles. But, it's super annoying.