ADMIRALS CLUB MEMBERSHIP

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2017
In 1968, my parents purchased a lifetime membership (no longer offered) in my name with American Airlines Admiral Club.

Two years ago, American stopped honoring the membership and after initially claiming I was deceased, they then claimed that I was an imposter, and then finally, (after all of that was proven false), that the membership had been illegally purchased because I was under age 18 at the time of purchase; (despite that they had honored it for 47 YEARS). So far, I have not been able to get this resolved in 2 years. Any ideas or attorneys willing to take this on?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Wow! That's ugly.... Do you have all these lovely accusations in writing? Wonder if being under 18yrs was a part of the Terms & Conditions back in 1968? Interesting as I bet it wasn't. But just guessing.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We can't recommend attorneys here and those that are here might be able to refer you to one some other way.

However, AA has information on their website about the lifetime membership - if you were under 18 then it is not valid and they can revoke the membership at any time anyway. :

• Membership is open to anyone eighteen (18) years of age or older.
  • Admirals Club and US Airways Club® lifetime memberships will continue to be honored through Admirals Club, subject to these terms and conditions. LIFETIME MEMBERSHIPS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE, NON-TRANSFERRABLE AND EXPIRE UPON THE DEATH OF THE MEMBER.
  • AMERICAN RESERVES THE RIGHT TO TERMINATE, DENY OR REVOKE ANY MEMBERSHIP OR MEMBERSHIP PRIVILEGES, INCLUDING ANY LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP OR LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP PRIVILEGES, FOR ANY REASON, WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE, AND RETRIEVE MEMBERSHIP CARDS AT ANY TIME BY ADVISING THE MEMBER AND REFUNDING A PORTION OF ANY MEMBERSHIP DUES PREVIOUSLY RECEIVED BY AMERICAN, US AIRWAYS OR ANY OF THEIR PREDECESSORS IN PAYMENT FOR SUCH MEMBERSHIP, THE AMOUNT OF SUCH REFUND TO BE DETERMINED BY AMERICAN IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
We can't recommend attorneys here and those that are here might be able to refer you to one some other way.

However, AA has information on their website about the lifetime membership - if you were under 18 then it is not valid and they can revoke the membership at any time anyway. :

• Admirals Club and US Airways Club® lifetime memberships will continue to be honored through Admirals Club, subject to these terms and conditions. LIFETIME MEMBERSHIPS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE, NON-TRANSFERRABLE AND EXPIRE UPON THE DEATH OF THE MEMBER.
  • AMERICAN RESERVES THE RIGHT TO TERMINATE, DENY OR REVOKE ANY MEMBERSHIP OR MEMBERSHIP PRIVILEGES, INCLUDING ANY LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP OR LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP PRIVILEGES, FOR ANY REASON, WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE, AND RETRIEVE MEMBERSHIP CARDS AT ANY TIME BY ADVISING THE MEMBER AND REFUNDING A PORTION OF ANY MEMBERSHIP DUES PREVIOUSLY RECEIVED BY AMERICAN, US AIRWAYS OR ANY OF THEIR PREDECESSORS IN PAYMENT FOR SUCH MEMBERSHIP, THE AMOUNT OF SUCH REFUND TO BE DETERMINED BY AMERICAN IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION.
Membership for our LW was purchased in 1968.... was 18 yr in the T & C then??? That's the question! Obviously our LW has not been 18 in many many years, the horse has been out of that barn for nearly 50 yrs ;)

Reactions: technomage1

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We would have to see the original content. Does she have a copy of the original agreement?
But for some reason, I can't see it not being in there since a contract with a minor is not legal now nor was it way back then.

And they can revoke it at any time.

What our writer can do is use our company contacts and write to AA.

Reactions: jsn55

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
We would have to see the original content. Does she have a copy of the original agreement?
But for some reason, I can't see it not being in there since a contract with a minor is not legal now nor was it way back then.

And they can revoke it at any time.

What our writer can do is use our company contacts and write to AA.
@Neil that was a very different time and I believe it's certainly possible if was not there in the T & C. But the fact that they allowed it to continue for 45 yrs is another matter. Would love to see if they can produce the T & C from 1968 time of purchase.

Jan 29, 2017
Wow! That's ugly.... Do you have all these lovely accusations in writing? Wonder if being under 18yrs was a part of the Terms & Conditions back in 1968? Interesting as I bet it wasn't. But just guessing.
I do have copies of American's positions in writing (emails). But the allegations of being deceased and an imposter were made over the phone, although there are vague inferences to them in the back and forth email correspondence.

Jan 29, 2017
Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of the T&C from 1968; but I'd be willing to bet money that there was no ability for American to terminate the membership at will; and it was also unlikely (though possible) that it had language that required the member to be 18 or older. In any event, when I asked American to produce a copy of the 1968 T&C agreement they wouldn't agree to.

Jan 29, 2017

I have no reason to believe that either American's right to terminate at will or the 18 year age requirement was in the original T&C as American would not agree to provide me with a copy.

Jan 29, 2017
@Neil that was a very different time and I believe it's certainly possible if was not there in the T & C. But the fact that they allowed it to continue for 45 yrs is another matter. Would love to see if they can produce the T & C from 1968 time of purchase.
American did not reply to my request for a copy of the T&C from 1968.

Dec 18, 2016
American did not reply to my request for a copy of the T&C from 1968.
Just my 2 cents. Try contacting the names listed and ask for clemency/consideration.

Otherwise, enjoy the years you had it. Sign up for the current plan, or not. And let it go. I know that sucks, but so it goes.

AA has the knockout punch. Any reason, or nor reason for cancellation. Let it go.

I agree it sucks!

Reactions: jsn55 and krisseye

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
If they want to cancel you based on those T & C in place in 1968 then they need to produce them, as you currently are older than 18 and have been for many years .....

Have you had an Attorney send a short and concise letter to the CEO (cost of letter $200 est) to get this resolved? If you fly AA frequently and want this benefit then that's what I'd do.

Reactions: jsn55
Dec 18, 2016
If they want to cancel you based on those T & C in place in 1968 then they need to produce them, as you currently are older than 18 and have been for many years .....

Have you had an Attorney send a short and concise letter to the CEO (cost of letter $200 est) to get this resolved? If you fly AA frequently and want this benefit then that's what I'd do.
Not a bad idea. What is the cost of Admirable Club membership? More than two hundred?

Aug 29, 2015
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
The old American Airlines has been bankrupt at least once since your AC passes were purchased. AA was purchased from bankruptcy by US Air which kept the American brand. These two actions, alone, would prompt the present AA to disavow any of its old agreements. Not that I think it's right or moral, but be prepared for them to raise these arguments, too.

Jan 29, 2017
Not a bad idea. What is the cost of Admirable Club membership? More than two hundred?
Don't even know where to send such a letter to American to get the attention that it deserves.. Do you have any suggestions? (and while American no longer sells lifetime Admirals Club memberships, I seem to recall that when they last did it was something like $4,000 (although I believe my parents paid about $450)

Jan 29, 2017
The old American Airlines has been bankrupt at least once since your AC passes were purchased. AA was purchased from bankruptcy by US Air which kept the American brand. These two actions, alone, would prompt the present AA to disavow any of its old agreements. Not that I think it's right or moral, but be prepared for them to raise these arguments, too.
While this is a very good point, I recall that in the bankruptcy that they specifically agreed to honor all Admirals Club memberships and frequent flyer mile balances; in in practice they have done so; even honored my Admirals Club membership post bankruptcy until January 2015.

Reactions: JVillegirl541

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Annual rates (USD)
Membership type AAdvantage® AAdvantage® Gold AAdvantage® Platinum AAdvantage® Platinum Pro AAdvantage® Executive Platinum
Individual – new
$550 $525 $500 $475 $450
Individual – renew $500 $475 $450 $425 $400
Household – new $925 $850 $775 $725 $675
Household – renew $875 $800 $725 $675 $625
Citi® / AAdvantage®Executive World EliteTMMasterCard®* Complimentary Complimentary

Reactions: PMT

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you used our contacts to start writing to AA?

Again, they can terminate these programs for any reason. But I would try to go through the writing process we advise consumers to and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.