7 night hotel and Air Package

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 27, 2016
A few years ago I purchased a timeshare week from Marriott Vacation Club. One of the perks is the ability to convert the one week into 100k Marriott rewards points. The salesman was very eager to point out that the best deal when converting to Marriott Reward Points was the 7 night stay plus Air so that we could "Hop around Europe in different cities". He had done this with his family to see several cities around Europe. So over the years, we converted a few of the weeks, got a Marriott credit card and saved up 340k marriott rewards points. Our plan was to convert the points and use/buy united FF miles to make a great trip and fly premium there and back for my family. I looked up on Marriott website and I saw nothing that contradicted what the Marriott Vacation club salesman told me. It only states consecutive nights at a category 8 hotel. So we ended up spending a couple thousand thousand $USD on united miles and purchased the Marriott travel package to get the last 110k united miles so we could all fly in premium class there and back. I got all the flights booked and with the taxes and all in spent nearly $3000 to make the flights work to fly into Copenhagen, and return from London. This is now all non-refundable. The plan was to spend 4 nights in Copenhagen (Vrbo there), 2 nights in Paris and 5 nights in London. The last 7 would be used with Marriott. I went to book over the phone and they said they cannot split the 7 nights. I tried talking with a manager but was shut down and told there is nothing he could do. So I am quite upset as we would then be forced to pay for our hotel in Paris (assuming we use 5 of the 7 nights in London).

I was mislead by the Marriott Vacation Club and the Terms and Conditions do not state all nights must be at the same hotel. I would like Marriott to honor the package and let me book 2 nights in Paris and 5 nights in London (on consecutive nights)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Well, this is a new twist on a timeshare problem. Good for you for putting this all together and flying up front. It will be a memorable trip. When are you leaving? I ask because it would be a very long shot to get Marriott to override today's T&Cs with something a salesman said several years ago. Not impossible, but difficult. So I think you should look at adjusting your itinerary so this hiccup doesn't ruin your trip.

I often stay at "airport hotels" in Europe for several reasons: 1) they're usually much less expensive 2) they're well soundproofed 3) they have excellent public transportation into the city. They do not, of course, offer the first-timer the atmosphere and excitement of being, say, in Paris. London and Paris both have a huge number of airport hotels, with rooms in every price range. Personally, I'd stay the 5 nites at a Paris Marriott and spend two days in London at an airport hotel. With your trip laid out, you can then pursue the split-reward topic and perhaps win the argument. My colleagues no doubt will have many other ideas for you; I am not a Marriott person, so there may be some avenues open for you of which I am unaware. Please let us know how things go, this is a most interesting case.

Reactions: AAGK and AMA
Apr 27, 2016
Thank you for the input. I am not traveling until August so I have a little time to get this sorted out. I definately want to stay in the city if I'm using the category 8 certificate.

My biggest complaint with Marriott and where I think I stand on solid ground is really that the Ts&Cs don't state one hotel. They state "7 consecutive nights at a Hotel". That is a big difference in contract language. If I said I slept 7 nights on a couch, that doesn't mean I slept 7 nights on the same couch.

Attachments

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you for the input. I am not traveling until August so I have a little time to get this sorted out. I definately want to stay in the city if I'm using the category 8 certificate.

My biggest complaint with Marriott and where I think I stand on solid ground is really that the Ts&Cs don't state one hotel. They state "7 consecutive nights at a Hotel". That is a big difference in contract language. If I said I slept 7 nights on a couch, that doesn't mean I slept 7 nights on the same couch.
I wish I could agree with you Corey, but 'a' is singular. Nevertheless, continue to pursue this ... miracles do happen. Good luck!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If it isn't written IN the contract, it doesn't exist. Yes those time share salespeople lie through their teeth.

We have a friend who sold time shares for one month. He quit because he couldn't lie to people to make a sale. He said he was told to say anything to get the sale made but never put it in writing. If it' s not in the contract, its the consumers word against the salesman.

So yes, you quite possibly could have been lied to or the terms could have changed. Can you post a link to the terms and conditions so we can review them? You have made a good point about the wording and I'd like to make sure there is nothing contradicting that somewhere else.

It also says a category 8 hotel. Are you using all category 8 hotels?

Reactions: Tanya and jsn55
Aug 28, 2015
New York

I agree with @judyserienagy . I only see one interpretation of 7 consecutive nights at a hotel. I wish I could see a loophole but only one plain meaning there. "A hotel" is singular, meaning one hotel.

Reactions: jsn55
Apr 27, 2016
I agree that "a" is singular however it is an indefinite article. "a" is non-specific where "one" is specific. For example: "I slept on a couch for the last 7 nights" could mean that I slept on a different couch every night and the statement would be true. In the context of my situation, particularly when I am coming from an understanding that I can "hop around" the use of "a" hotel in the T&C only clarifies the singular on a given night and would be grammatically awkward to not have the pronoun "a". While Marriott may have intended to limit the certificate to "a particular", "the selected" or "one" hotel (all of which could have been used to represent their intent), grammatically and contractually the use of just "a hotel" does not limit different hotels on different nights.

Apr 27, 2016
Well it looks like Marriott came through. After a set of emails (from the central website contact system) they changed my 7 night package to a 5 night package, refunded the excess points and added 20k rewards points to offset the difference in "cost" so that I can take the trip that was planned. The inital request actually went to a Vacation Club rep and they ended up advocating for me with Marriott International (the hotel division).

Reactions: jsn55