57 min connection in Detroit.....too short or okay?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I normally give ourselves longer than that for layovers but we are flying to Burlington VT with limited options from Idaho. Is this the one time that I break my own rule?!?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I normally give ourselves longer than that for layovers but we are flying to Burlington VT with limited options from Idaho. Is this the one time that I break my own rule?!?
What month and time of day are you flying? Afternoon thunderstorms may be an issue in the summer. Is there a later flight if you miss your connection in Detroit?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
We are traveling the last week of August. Only one later flight. Looks like three flights a day. We can't arrive in Detroit early enough to catch the first flight. The other option is through Atlanta which is not my first choice for the exact reason you brought up....thunderstorms. I figured Detroit may fare better???

Last edited:

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Just under one hour should be sufficient in Detroit. I've done it many times, Delta considers it a legal connection. No matter how long the gap, there could always be something to make you miss the connection. Connections are much easier than at Atlanta wish is a much bigger airport. Just make sure you have a backup plan.

Reactions: Patina

ADM

Apr 10, 2017
Not that this means anything but my husband and I just risked a 44 minute layover in Atlanta on Saturday and it worked out fine. There was another flight to our final destination and we decided to take the chance. I won't lie, it was a bit stressful when our plane sat on the tarmac for 20 minutes waiting for the gate to become available.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Not that this means anything but my husband and I just risked a 44 minute layover in Atlanta on Saturday and it worked out fine. There was another flight to our final destination and we decided to take the chance. I won't lie, it was a bit stressful when our plane sat on the tarmac for 20 minutes waiting for the gate to become available.
Oh, I feel for you! I hate the stress of missing a flight.

I think we will go for it since there is one more flight that evening plus three the following day. We don't need to be anywhere until the next evening which gives us a small buffer.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Oh, I feel for you! I hate the stress of missing a flight.

I think we will go for it since there is one more flight that evening plus three the following day. We don't need to be anywhere until the next evening which gives us a small buffer.
If there is one more flight later that day I would go for the 57 min between flights.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I've spent some time in Burlington. Always connected in Newark. (Yeah, yeah ... but EWR isn't that bad, I kinda like it.) Similar issue as yours ... if I didn't get there until the next afternoon the world wouldn't end. Twice I had problems with the little plane to Burlington, so I drove up. If you have a real plane from Detroit, you should be OK, they don't cancel those as often as the little guys.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I've spent some time in Burlington. Always connected in Newark. (Yeah, yeah ... but EWR isn't that bad, I kinda like it.) Similar issue as yours ... if I didn't get there until the next afternoon the world wouldn't end. Twice I had problems with the little plane to Burlington, so I drove up. If you have a real plane from Detroit, you should be OK, they don't cancel those as often as the little guys.
I forgot to add: just how fast can you trot? I learned long ago that a wheeled carryon does NOT trot well at all!!

Dec 19, 2014
The difference is... a) you know the risks, b) you know what to do in case of an issue and c) You know how to be proactive. If there isn't other options, then it is what it is.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Sep 27, 2018
Look up on Flightaware to see which concourses are used. Most likely the flight to Burlington is on B or C, which is a 20 minute hard run from A concourse. An hour can be done. If there are T-storms that backs all flights up and the RJs are usually delayed first.

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina
Feb 28, 2018
We are traveling the last week of August. Only one later flight. Looks like three flights a day. We can't arrive in Detroit early enough to catch the first flight. The other option is through Atlanta which is not my first choice for the exact reason you brought up....thunderstorms. I figured Detroit may fare better???
Detroit: too short..Luggage may not make it to your plane, even if you run to it. If there is any delay in your arriving plane to get to a gate ( often delays in Detroit) expect to miss the connection.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Detroit: too short..Luggage may not make it to your plane, even if you run to it. If there is any delay in your arriving plane to get to a gate ( often delays in Detroit) expect to miss the connection.
Thanks for your input. I should have mentioned we never check luggage, only carry- ons.

Reactions: jsn55
Nov 21, 2014
I’ve found that waiting for gate-checked carryons can eat up previous connecting minutes. If you can stow in the overhead bins, great but our smaller regional jets can’t accommodate roller bags like the bigger jets can. Lots of factors...

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
Good luck, Patina. I'll be figuratively holding hands with you. I have a 57 minute connection in Atlanta on my way from San Francisco to Paris in September. We're both going to make it! :)

Sep 27, 2018
Actually, I have found the opposite is true. My guess is the baggage doors dont close 20 minutes before departure like the passenger boarding door.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Good luck, Patina. I'll be figuratively holding hands with you. I have a 57 minute connection in Atlanta on my way from San Francisco to Paris in September. We're both going to make it! :)
Oooh, I am quite jealous you are going to Paris! I just love that city; have a wonderful trip.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Here's my prediction, Patina. Your flight will arrive early. You'll make your connection without any problems. This happens a million times a day all over the world. A small percentage of passengers "don't make it" but most of them do. You'll make it. I don't need to ask ... I'm sure that you are sitting toward the front of the plane, right?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Here's my prediction, Patina. Your flight will arrive early. You'll make your connection without any problems. This happens a million times a day all over the world. A small percentage of passengers "don't make it" but most of them do. You'll make it. I don't need to ask ... I'm sure that you are sitting toward the front of the plane, right?
We are.....and you know that we will be packing very little ;) I am not too stressed about it because the other options were terrible. Worst case scenario we stay the night in Detroit and get on a flight the next day. I will tell you, getting to Paul Smiths NY is NOT easy!

Reactions: jsn55