2011 Volkswagen Tiguan Water pump / Coolant Defect

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 2, 2020
We bought a 2011 Volkswagen Tiguan January 2, 2020 from a non Volkswagen dealer for my daughter to take to college.
By the end of February 2020 she had to add coolant.
Again in June 2020 she had to add coolant and we noticed something has been dripping from the engine area.
I took it to an auto repair shop and they said it is leaking from the water pump and that it looked like the water pump had been replaced but they don’t work on Volkswagen water pumps.
Online research has shown me this is a known major problem with the 2011 Tiguan.
I found one site that reveals a class action settlement.
Regardless I need it fixed and am wondering what steps I should take. I don’t see a recall.
I contacted vw.com via chat 6/30/2020 and the result was a case number, 04414857, and being referred to reach out to the class action claim administrator directly at 1-877-363-7829.
I did that 7/1/2020 and was told the deadline to be included was April 2020, 3 months ago.
I find this very upsetting. I feel that either the vw rep I chatted with is unaware of the deadline for the class action suit she referred me too, or she is aware and found it the only way out of our chat. Both extremely poor.
Obviously Volkswagen is aware the water pump on the 2011 Tiguan is a problem or there would not have been the class action suit settlement. What recourse do I have to get this recall worthy water pump problem fixed at no to little cost?

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
If you missed the ability to join the class action suit that means you're on your own (unless you hire a lawyer yourself). How many miles does the car have? A quick google has sites saying that it's not completely out of the ordinary to replace a water pump around 100k miles. Considering the car is 9 years old I"m guessing it's likely the car has that much mileage. You might be facing an uphill battle, but I would go back to the chat and say you weren't able to join the settlement and ask what your options are.

Sep 4, 2019
I suspect you may have narrowed down why the previous owner sold the vehicle. It looks like there was also a class action related to timing chain failures for some Tiguans as well. was your VIN included in that recall? Your cheapest option may turn out to be trading in the Tiguan for something you’ve had more time to research.

(Also, word of advice - always get a pre purchase inspection from your trusted mechanic, even if you’re buying from a dealer. If the dealer won’t allow it, do not buy the car).

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
You state that the water pump had been replaced. When, where, and by whom? I doubt that the class action would apply if the pump had been replaced already possibly under the terms of the class action. Unfortunately, all class actions have a time limit. The time to explore this was pre-purchase.

When purchasing a car 9-10 years old with probably 100+K miles you need to see all of the old service records and have a pre-purchase inspection by an independent mechanic.

Also, many used car dealers provide a short term warranty of 3-12 months. You were aware within a month of purchase that there was an issue with the cooling system. Did you return to the dealer where you purchased the car?

Here are the VW contacts: https://elliott.org/company-contacts/volkswagen-of-america/
Start over with the first VW cust serv level by email. DO NOT call. The class-action claim administrator will simply refer you to the April date for cutoff.

In general, an older German car is not a great choice for a student. Repairs tend to be expensive and the reliability rating of the Tiguan is not great.
A Japanese or S Korean car would be a better choice for reliability and repairs.

Last edited:
Reactions: smd and Neil Maley
Jan 17, 2019
Recalls can be odd. I once owned a Ford Focus, and was driving home from work on the freeway one afternoon in bumper to bumper traffic. I was in the left lane, traveling at around 70 mph when the engine just shut off. I ended up coasting to a stop there because I was unable to even get out of that lane. Turned out there was a generic issue with the fuel pump on that model, but Ford didn't feel there was a need to issue a recall notice because they "don't to consider it to be a safety issue." I did manage to get them to replace the fuel pump, but I had to do all of the research myself online and then convince the dealer of the actual recall by showing them the Ford web page stating that there was actually a recall.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Recalls can be odd. I once owned a Ford Focus, and was driving home from work on the freeway one afternoon in bumper to bumper traffic. I was in the left lane, traveling at around 70 mph when the engine just shut off. I ended up coasting to a stop there because I was unable to even get out of that lane. Turned out there was a generic issue with the fuel pump on that model, but Ford didn't feel there was a need to issue a recall notice because they "don't to consider it to be a safety issue." I did manage to get them to replace the fuel pump, but I had to do all of the research myself online and then convince the dealer of the actual recall by showing them the Ford web page stating that there was actually a recall.
The OP's issue with the 2011 Tiguan does not involve a recall, but a class-action lawsuit. Recalls are for safety issues, not malfunctions of non-safety-related parts. There are many recalls for the Tiguan but not for water pump issues.

Reactions: Neil Maley