I canceled my Club Med vacation, but my claim was denied

By | September 11th, 2016

I’d like to help Jack and Sue Guenza. A late spring storm interrupted their Mexican vacation, and they assumed their travel insurance would cover them. But, of course it didn’t, which is why they’re here now, asking the E-Team to do its thing.

A quick fix isn’t always in the cards which is one of the reasons I’m writing about this. The wheels turn slowly, and sometimes not at all, when it comes to travel insurance. Add a delay that may or may not be related to the weather, and you have today’s conundrum.

The Guenzas had booked a package at the Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, which included accommodations, resort fees and airfare on Delta Air Lines. They also bought insurance through CSA.

“We were to depart San Francisco on a Saturday morning with a stop in Los Angeles, and arrive at the resort late in the afternoon,” he remembers.

Didn’t happen. Instead, a storm forced their airline to reroute them. Their new route would fly them to Atlanta on a redeye and then Mexico City — a circuitous path that made them miss a day of their vacation. Instead of taking the new flight, they canceled their vacation.

“When we applied for reimbursement from CSA insurance for our out-of-pocket expense to Club Med for $3,740 and $130 in miscellaneous expenses, our claim was denied,” he says.

The reason: He says Delta didn’t list the correct reason for the flight delay.

“Delta said our flight was delayed due to crew-related issues,” he says. ” No mention of the obvious weather problems at all.”

Related story:   A ski vacation that was all downhill

Our advocacy team asked to see the paper trail between Guenza and CSA. Here’s the form he would have filled out. The delay should fall under a “covered” reason in his policy. That includes “common carrier delays and/or cancellations resulting from adverse weather, mechanical breakdown of the aircraft, ship, boat or motor coach that you were scheduled to travel on, or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation.”

So something else is going on here. It’s possible CSA would have covered a hotel for the couple if they’d decided to continue with their vacation. But they canceled.

Our team recommended Guenza contact Delta and CSA to ask for a more detailed explanation. Our own research suggests there were no delays that affected flights to Atlanta or Los Angeles on the day he traveled, so there’s probably more to this story than we know.

A denial letter would certainly help clear things up.

Once Guenza knows why he’s been turned down, he can appeal to someone higher up at CSA. We list the names and numbers of CSA’s executives on the site. If that doesn’t work, I’m happy to jump in and assist.

There’s a bigger issue here, of course. CSA sold him a policy that left Guenza with the impression that he’d be protected. So why wasn’t he protected?

Should I take Jack and Sue Guenza's case?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

We want your feedback. Your opinion is important to us. Here's how you can share your thoughts:
  • Send us a letter to the editor. We'll publish your most thoughtful missives in our daily newsletter or in an upcoming post.
  • Leave a message on one of our social networks. We have an active Facebook page, a LinkedIn presence and a Twitter account. Every story on this site is posted on those channels. The conversation ranges from completely unmoderated (Twitter) to moderated (Facebook and LinkedIn).
  • Post a question to our help forums or ask our advocates for a hand through our assistance intake form. Please note that our help forum is not a place for debate. It's there primarily to assist readers with a consumer problem.
  • If you have a news tip or want to report an error or omission, you can email the site publisher directly. You may also contact the post's author directly. Contact information is in the author tagline.